Manual Handling Basics (DS)
Manual handling simply means moving something from one place to another.
It is often a misunderstood concept and is also one of the areas where support workers may take shortcuts. Manual handling injuries are the most common workplace injuries in community service work resulting in negative outcomes for staff, participants and employers.
This course must be read in conjunction with practical manual handling competency training in the workplace or a simulated environment.
- Explain manual handling in disability support work
- Understand work health and safety requirements
- Accomplish responsibilities in your role as an employer or employee
- Apply basic body mechanics to avoid manual handling injuries
- Practice the principles of manual handling