Working Confidently with Bowel Stomas (DS)
Support workers may be required to assist with personal care for a participant who has a bowel stoma.
This course provides an introduction to bowel stoma care theory. The course should always be accompanied by a physical demonstration of a participant’s specific stoma appliances and their use to ensure competency.
- Understand the digestive system
- Identify indications for ostomy surgery
- Understand stoma appliances
- Identify professionals in the holistic care team
- Practice holistic support for the person and their stoma care requirements
- Attend to complications and troubleshoot