Supporting Clients with Dysphagia (Adelaide)This course provides disability support and aged care staff with the knowledge and skills to support a person with swallowing difficulties.
Cost:FREE per person
About this experience
Participants will gain an understanding of the following concepts:
- The anatomy and physiology of swallowing
- What to look out for - signs and symptoms of dysphagia
- The consequences and impacts of dysphagia on the person
- How swallowing assessments are undertaken
- The IDDSI framework for food and fluid modification
- The role of the support worker
Course Structure & Competency
The course is delivered across 3 hours in the classroom and includes theory, practical activities and a theory knowledge test.
Practical activities include practice and demonstration of competency in:
- Preparation of thickened fluids
- Meal assistance
To receive a Certificate of Attendance, all attendees must attend the entire classroom session, complete all practical components to a satisfactory level and achieve a 90% pass rate in the theory knowledge test.
A Certificate of Attendance is issued listing all topics and components of the training stating simulation only. It is recommended that employers follow this training with workplace-based assessments to determine competency.