This module is designed to help personal care and nursing staff to understand and apply the new regulations for restrictive practices in residential aged care. The module provides updates to how the law has changed, along with examples of how to put these new laws into practice. It also helps to refresh existing knowledge about minimising the use of restraints and making sure that best practice is applied to all situations where restrictive practice might be considered.
- Describe the new definition of restrictive practices according to aged care legislation
- Explain the types of restrictive practice List alternative strategies that may be trialed first
- Identify the steps that must be taken when a restrictive practice is being considered
- Define how restrictive practices can be used in emergency situations
- Explain how a behaviour support plan is used to document and monitor restrictive practices.
Course Code: CLIRE