Supporting People with Autism (DS)
This module is designed to help disability support workers understand the symptoms and experiences that are common to children and adults with moderate to severe autism.
The learner will identify the causes and current research on autism spectrum disorders and will be taken through a series of strategies to help people with autism communicate and participate in the community. Case studies are used to illustrate how positive and targeted interactions can help to reduce stress and avoid behaviours of concern.
- Identify the main symptoms of autism and autistic traits
- Outline the known causes of autism
- Explain how autism affects the life of the individual
- Identify ways to support people with autism to cope with and take part in the world around them
- Give examples of using positive behaviour support to support behaviours of concern in people with autism.