Depression in Aged Care
This module has been developed to help personal care workers and support workers in aged care settings to understand how to identify and respond appropriately to depression in older Australians, including those with dementia. The learner is helped to understand the importance of holistic approaches in preventing and reducing depression. The role of professionals is explained, and the importance of a multi-faceted approach is emphasised.
In this course you will learn:
- Outline the definition of depression
- Identify reasons why depression is common in aged
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of depression in older people, including people with dementia
- Explain appropriate responses from an aged care worker to signs of depression
- Outline how holistic support can help to prevent and reduce depression in older people.
Course Code: MENDA
CPD Value: 0.40