This course provides the fundamentals in managing dysphagia in Aged Care.
It is expected that all nursing staff have a baseline knowledge of managing dysphagia and continue to update their knowledge and maintain competency in skills needed to perform their role.
This competency assessment will be undertaken by yourself without the aid of others or cheat sheets in accordance with APRHA Professional code of conduct for Nurses. It is expected that you will achieve 100% in this course to perform your role within your organisation.
- Understand definition of dysphagia
- Understand causes of dysphagia
- Anticipate results of dysphagia
- Strategies to manage dysphagia
- Normal swallowing and anatomy
- Choking procedures
- Understand and assist with speech pathology dysphagia care plans
- Identify other roles of speech pathology in Aged Care facilities
Course Code: MANMD
Standards Incorporated in this Course: 3,4 & 8